mrsjoseph

MrsJoseph: Books, Life & Wine

I’m currently on the run from the Amazon Empire. The Empire recently used it’s planet sized money to destroy devour my previous safehouse: Goodreads.

I read a lot. Have a bit of a tendency to review as well. So…this is mostly a book review site. Unless its not. But I’m not taking review requests.

Cause sometimes I’ll write about whatever I feel like, book or no.

Things I [currently] like:
Reading
Reviewing
Exercising
Wine

So, I’ll talk about that stuff. Unless I don’t.

That “life” part in the site title is all about flexibility, lol.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Brandon Sanderson
Starting Strength, 3rd edition
Mark Rippetoe
Seduction
Amanda Quick
Progress: 25 %

Review: Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson

Gardens of the Moon  - Steven Erikson

There are no words. I just don’t have the words to describe this enough to get out a review.

I don’t have the words to express my relationship with Gardens of the Moon.

I am…my mind is BLOWN.

It’s genius.

It’s intimidating. The sheer scope of what was going on is amazing. There’s so much going on and I don’t know what to even say. The world is so textured and layered.

There are ten books in this series. O_O

I went through a gamut of emotions – the emotional roller-coaster had me strapped down and didn’t let me off until the end.

The sheer…magnitude of the book was on the scale of what I [previously] would have thought to be impossible.

During my reading of this book I felt confused, I felt astounded, tired, irritated, exhilarated, exhausted, engaged, exasperated, drugged, emotionally traumatized…and totally at Erikson’s mercy.

O_o

Dangerous women. One of the things I loved was that the book is chock full of Very Dangerous Women. Erikson doesn’t pretend that women are the “weaker sex.” In this book, women are simply the other sex. And damn. A lot of the women were more dangerous that the men.

So confusing. This book’s magnitude is immense. It’s confusing. But not in a way that allowed me to stop reading. Instead my brain was set on fire and I wanted to SCREAM when I didn’t get the answers I was looking for.

So much.  There is so much going on. And it’s all SO RICH and TEXTURED. And Erikson left a lot of loose strings. SO MANY loose strings and it was with both a terrifying eagerness and sinking dread that I knew I had to continue on.

Still – the ending was satisfying if abrupt. Which surprised me. With ten books in the [main] series, I expected the ending to be an irritating cliff-hanger. But it wasn’t. It was surprisingly satisfying while still herding the reader forward towards the slaughter next book.

But not satisfying enough. I NEED book two NOW. RIGHT NOW. My GOD. The hoops I have jumped through to get this damn book to me has been insane. My book budget met Malazan and then died. O_O

Fuck. WHERE IS MY AMAZON SHIPMENT???!!?!?!

brainfulloffuck

Source: http://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/review-gardens-of-the-moon