mrsjoseph

MrsJoseph: Books, Life & Wine

I’m currently on the run from the Amazon Empire. The Empire recently used it’s planet sized money to destroy devour my previous safehouse: Goodreads.

I read a lot. Have a bit of a tendency to review as well. So…this is mostly a book review site. Unless its not. But I’m not taking review requests.

Cause sometimes I’ll write about whatever I feel like, book or no.

Things I [currently] like:
Reading
Reviewing
Exercising
Wine

So, I’ll talk about that stuff. Unless I don’t.

That “life” part in the site title is all about flexibility, lol.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Brandon Sanderson
Starting Strength, 3rd edition
Mark Rippetoe
Seduction
Amanda Quick
Progress: 25 %

Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicles, #3) – Patrick Rothfuss Makes a Point

One of the things about Goodreads that causes a lot of drama is the rating system. Goodreads allows readers to rate books at any time (even prior to release) – which is great in my opinion, since it allows for geographical flexibility as well as ease of cataloging. Here’s the thing – a lot of authors and their fans have a problem with any low rating – especially if it is prior to the official release. The Goodreads Feedback group is full of people whining about low star ratings. If the ratings are high, no one cares. If the ratings are low…authors and/or their fans rush to the Goodreads Feedback or Librarian groups to complain and demand the ratings be removed.

Of course, you never hear about an author or their fans complain about early 5 star reviews…until now.

Let’s examine the book page for the highly anticipated third book in Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicles, Doors of Stone:

kingkillerbookpage

There are several interesting things about this book page:

~ The book has not been completed.
~ There is no [official] blurb for the book.
~ There is no publication date.
~ The book has been added and highly rated by 693 people – which means Doors of Stone has an average rating of 4.69. For a book without even a tentative publication date!
~ 132 people have written reviews for Doors of Stone.

Normally, authors and their fans completely ignore these kind of ratings (since the ratings are popular).

And then there’s Pat Rothfuss. Damn. This man knows how to make people spend money.

Pat Rothfuss comment

Wow. I’m loving the point he’s making, the humor AND the fact that he made a few geeky references. I love the fact that he doesn’t want false praise. :-D Here’s an author that I can respect, appreciate, and spend my money on.

Source: http://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/patrick-rothfuss-makes-a-point