mrsjoseph

MrsJoseph: Books, Life & Wine

I’m currently on the run from the Amazon Empire. The Empire recently used it’s planet sized money to destroy devour my previous safehouse: Goodreads.

I read a lot. Have a bit of a tendency to review as well. So…this is mostly a book review site. Unless its not. But I’m not taking review requests.

Cause sometimes I’ll write about whatever I feel like, book or no.

Things I [currently] like:
Reading
Reviewing
Exercising
Wine

So, I’ll talk about that stuff. Unless I don’t.

That “life” part in the site title is all about flexibility, lol.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Brandon Sanderson
Starting Strength, 3rd edition
Mark Rippetoe
Seduction
Amanda Quick
Progress: 25 %

Mini- Review: Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr

Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It! - Kris Carr, Dean Ornish, Rory Freedman

I’m constantly working on me. My lifestyle, my exercise habits, my diet.

I picked up Crazy Sexy Diet from my library. I was looking for a book (with recipes and meal plans) that I could use to adjust my diet.

I am not rating this book because I was expecting something different and I stopped reading it once I realized it was not what I wanted.

My Expectations:
A book that discussed the importance of whole foods with an emphasis on vegetables.
Balanced meal plans and recipes that contained vegetables as well as protein.
21 Day Juice Cleanse

What I got:
A book that discussed the importance of becoming a Vegan (preferred) or vegetarian.
A book with very few recipes and (from what I saw) no meal plans.
A lot of discussion about pH balancing the body.
21 Day Juice Cleanse

While I was not exactly excited about this book once I realized it wasn’t what I expected, I still planned to read it in its entirety. But I didn’t. I stopped somewhere after chapter two.

Why?

Because the author’s chirpy tone, occasional body shaming and the annoyingly “cutesy” language. Seriously. As I read, I just imagined the author bouncing around a room like a toddler on a sugar high:

“I call these misinformed veg-heads ‘muffin vegetarians.’ When I eat like a muffin vegetarians, I develop what is known as a ‘muffin top’ – a puffy tube if blubber that hangs over my jeans.”
- page 13

“A generation later we’re as lost and confused as ever. It shouldn’t be so Zen koan complicated.”
-page 15

“Take a look at your overall spending. I’ll bet you can find places in your life where you can reallocate the do-re-mi.”
-page 16

I decided to DNF this after finishing up chapter two and skimming the rest. Especially when I ran across “God Pod” – the author’s term for “body.” *shudder*

I almost didn’t post this mini-review but as I have challenged myself to review all…

I would not recommend this to someone who looking for help with macro meal planning.

I can see this book being very helpful for others – especially if they don’t mind the chirpy tone and cutesy language.

Source: http://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/crazy-sexy-diet