mrsjoseph

MrsJoseph: Books, Life & Wine

I’m currently on the run from the Amazon Empire. The Empire recently used it’s planet sized money to destroy devour my previous safehouse: Goodreads.

I read a lot. Have a bit of a tendency to review as well. So…this is mostly a book review site. Unless its not. But I’m not taking review requests.

Cause sometimes I’ll write about whatever I feel like, book or no.

Things I [currently] like:
Reading
Reviewing
Exercising
Wine

So, I’ll talk about that stuff. Unless I don’t.

That “life” part in the site title is all about flexibility, lol.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Amanda Quick
Progress: 25 %

SPA-F: The Tribe of Ishmael (Afterlife Chronicles #1) by Heather Heffner

The Tribe of Ishmael - Heather Heffner

This is the second book in my self-published author  challenge.

Amount Read: 3.5 Chapters

What did I think…

Well, so far the book is very readable – if that makes any sense. It took me no time to reach chapter 3 with this book. In comparison Wrona makes the reader work a little harder. The writing flowed easily and I only noticed a couple of editing errors.

I also took a few notes/highlights with this one – but the ones that stick out to me now is the negative portrayal of all the women I’ve been introduced to thus far. I’m assuming more female positive characters will show up later. I have to admit that was really turned off by the repeated references to a woman the MC nicknamed “Saggy Tits.” It felt harsh and unnecessary to any of the action that was taking place.

The Tribe of Ishmael starts with Ishmael already on the sin train – for me this introduction was like getting a bucket of cold water tossed on me. The “deadly sin” car Ishmael started in appeared to be racism or rage or something like that. So the first few interactions the MC has are very aggressive – the MC is 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Middle Eastern – the MC gets a racial slur yelled at him and basically accused of being a terrorist. Have to say, wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

When I originally planned to add this to my SPA challenge, I *thought* I’d picked up a copy of this while it was free. Later I realized I had not – probably because the book was only being offered at Amazon at the time and it’s a brick. I don’t own a kindle. I borrowed a friend’s copy but I had to read it on my phone…and this is a rather large book. There’s no way I was reading 600+ pages on my phone or my desktop. I’m getting older and my eyes aren’t what they used to be. *sigh*

IDK if I will ever get back to this book. I think – for me, at least – format puts this book at a disadvantage. It’s an easy page turner but when I put it down in ebook format it was also easy to not pick back up. I think that a hardcopy would be more “in your face” (if that makes any sense).

I can say that – if the rest of the book reads in the same manner – the book should be a pretty decent page turner.

Note: This book is marketed as a “dark” fantasy with adult content.

This is the second book in my self-published author  challenge.

Source: http://bookslifewine.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/spa-f-the-tribe-of-ishmael